Saturday, April 30, 2011

"Countless as the sands of the sea are human passions."

That is a quote by Nikolai Gogol. I thought it was a great way to start off this post.
You know those things in life that you would love to pursue and improve your skills, but you don't have the time, money, or drive to do so?
Yes, I have a serious problem with this.
I have this problem x4.  
They are all things that I have dabbled in in the past and would love to get back to.
I have a passion for each one of them, but I have no idea which to start with or focus on.
It makes it even harder that they are all interconnected and one skill would add to the other.

The first of these for me is singing. Singing has always come naturally to me. When I was a girl my mother used to say I always had a song in my heart. (A phrase which I resented at the time strictly because she used it so much.... When I think about it now, I describes it perfectly because its not just a song stuck in my head but real singing comes from the heart.) Singing has mostly just been stuff in front of the mirror or in church but I have done some for performance. I have been told I have a good voice but its hard when its your friends, family and little old ladies who go to your church telling you so. I would love to take voice lessons or be in a choir. As of now I can only sing melody and  don't have a very good ear for specific notes.

The second is dancing. Dance has also been pretty natural for me. I can be graceful when I'm actually paying attention to where my limbs are.... I took ballet for several years but quit because I didn't like the teacher. I don't know that I would go back to ballet again but I would love to go into modern dance or ballroom. Recently I've had the chance to do West Coast Swing with some friends. I've been enjoying it greatly but I would to get more serious about it.

The third is piano. I took a couple of classes several years ago and I have basic knowledge of music from also playing recorder and flute for a time. (which I quit because I couldn't sing and play it...) I tried to teach myself chords but I'm afraid I failed miserably... The great thing about piano is I could play it to accompany my singing as well.

Last but not least is Drama, especially Musical Theatre. The thing I love most about musical theatre is it combines singing, dancing, and acting... I have done several small productions with a family (also known as my directors or my adopted family). I love them and what they do dearly, but sometimes I feel I'm not being challenged because they're children's plays... I have tried out for several of the plays at my high school but unfortunately my auditioning skills are apparently lacking.... I  am much more reserved and quiet and my nerves tend to interfere with my singing and acting skills..

Ah well I don't expect you to have the perfect answer for me. I thought I'd share my angst with you. Perhaps you can relate? Or maybe you have found ways to pursue your passions without draining your bank account? I'd love to hear about it!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment